TAG – Online Commenting Etiquette

Students in Ms. Adriance’s class are practicing the art of commenting online.  We’ll be using the TAG approach (Tell something you like, Ask a question and Give a Suggestion).

We’ll be using El Deafo by Cece Bell as our catalyst to our conversation:

Starting at a new school is scary, even more so with a giant hearing aid strapped to your chest! At her old school, everyone in Cece’s class was deaf. Here she is different. She is sure the kids are staring at the Phonic Ear, the powerful aid that will help her hear her teacher. Too bad it also seems certain to repel potential friends.

Then Cece makes a startling discovery. With the Phonic Ear she can hear her teacher not just in the classroom, but anywhere her teacher is in school–in the hallway…in the teacher’s lounge…in the bathroom! This is power. Maybe even superpower! Cece is on her way to becoming El Deafo, Listener for All. But the funny thing about being a superhero is that it’s just another way of feeling different… and lonely. Can Cece channel her powers into finding the thing she wants most, a true friend?

This funny perceptive graphic novel memoir about growing up hearing impaired is also an unforgettable book about growing up, and all the super and super embarrassing moments along the way.

17 Comments
  1. I like that all the characters are rabbits.
    Why did you use bunnies to replace the characters.
    I think you should make her have more friends.

2. I like that she has super powers. Which friends did you have? I think you should write more books.

3. Hey it’s me DieteticTuna946 and I like this book because she could hear anything the teacher says and does, and that everyone are animals.

4. I like the art a lot. When did you think to write the book? I think you should write a sequel.

5. I like el deafo because in kindergarten everyone was the same then later year they were diffrent, I whould like to be in there,you should do another book.

6. I love your book and I read it all the time is most of the book true or false. I think you should have not been shy about it. I was not that shy when I was new at my school. So if you could go back in time you should have not been shy. You should make another book about eldefo. I love the illustration for the book. Did you make it. I do not pay attention to that. It is a nice book. I can’t look at the illustrator we have no more copies of it. ‘:-)

7. I like the book because when the teacher was using the restroom she could hear her. Why did you put rabbits? If you make a next book you should put snakes. Daisy

8. I like how you added lots of details.
    And is Cece going to make a sequel.
    I think you should add more rich words.

9. I absolutely love this book it’s so fun,funny and interesting! Did Cece Bell really get blind?! I wish it had a series.

10. I like how you put things like when your different you can create something special. Why is it called el deafo . I think you should put a sequel of el deafo.

11. I like that Cece Bell chose a rabbit because of the big ears. I would like to know if all of the things in the book are true. I would love to suggest that she writes a sequel to El Deafo